Tips to reduce mold exposure
- Keep humidity down, preferably below 50%. Dehumidify your basement.
- Use a fan in bathroom that exhausts outdoors and use mold inhibiting paints in bathrooms and other damp areas.
- Don't hang damp clothing inside the house.
- Vent clothes dryer outside.
- Avoid having many plants inside the house.
- Remove fallen leaves around home in the fall.
- Wash tiles and grout in bathroom frequently. Use a bleach solution to remove visible mold.
- Avoid frequent use of home mist vaporizers.
- Clean refrigerator drip pans, air conditioner coils and dehumidifier reservoirs frequently.
- Avoid carpets (especially in basements) and repair any water damage immediately.
from Allergy & Asthma News, Issue 1 2005